1.29.2010

It's not that I look for dead animals

but they seem to pop up a lot on UB's topology.

When we first arrived, we were told that once the snow melts we'd find a lot of frozen animal corpses on the sidewalks that just didn't make it during the winter months. (there are dozens of stray dogs in the city - some of them survive, some don't, some make it to the meat markets and dumpling shops)

The word 'melt' connotes say, 80 degrees or above. Not -15 as it was yesterday on our walk along the UB river (see: LA river) or when I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a frozen cat.

It was two puppies. Two furry, frosty darling little bodies curled up next to one another covered in a very thin layer of snow. Their eyes shut as if they'd just fallen asleep. As upset as I was, Patrick's suggestion to bring them home with us to see if they defrosted and come back to life actually made me pause to think, possibly?

My argument to him, 'if we'd brought them home already then we wouldn't have to worry about them freezing OR defrosting' did not carry much ice (it's too cold for liquids here).

I don't know what the parable of this story is, but the image has stuck with me. Sort of like those Sarah Machlaclan tv ads with all the cute animals and her braying a sad tune, you just want to change the channel. We'll have to brace ourselves for a lot more scenes of what will probably turn out to be Animal Kingdom CSI as the warmer months roll around.

Needless to say, there are no accompanying pics to this post. I think the goat heads are enough for one month.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/2/10 08:30

    If I'm going to keep reading this blog, and I'm going to be teased with delicious prose, well then I certainly expect to see more dead animal photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/2/10 12:15

    Thank you for sparing us the photos...the descriptive prose is strong enough to make me visualize the scene...and my heart just breaks at the thought. I keep thinking Would I have taken them home? But then how many more? When would I stop? I suppose you need to develop immunity to those scenes or start being an activist and do something systemic about it. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could have at least posted a photo of Sarah McLachlan.

    ReplyDelete